(1) Educate university policy makers, students, faculty, staff, and the public regarding issues that affect women focusing especially on the interaction of sex, gender, race, class, and other forms of oppression.
(2) Plan special events that enhance, support, and empower women on campus and in the local community.
(3) Educate, support, and provide a safe space for women on campus through cultural and educational programming.
(4) Provide peer education, mentoring, and scholarship opportunities.
Programs & Services
Women’s Resource Center (WRC) programs and services are available to all students, staff, and faculty of UNM as well as community members unless otherwise noted.
*Actively promote educational and employment equity for women on campus.
* Promote the establishment and enforcement of policies and procedures which address issues of institutionalized sexism & racism, sexual harassment, and all other forms of discrimination in the classroom, on campus, and beyond.
Brown Bags *
Lunchtime presentation on a variety of topics designed to create awareness, consciousness, competence, and empowerment.
Immediate support and referrals for any student, staff, or faculty.
Family-Friendly Computer Pod
The WRC Computer Pod is a family friendly environment which exists to assist student-parents in reaching their educational goals.
Opportunities to view films that reflect the diversity, common threads, and importance of women’s experiences around the world.
The WRC houses information on a wide variety of topics including campus and community resources.
Breastfeeding Support Program/Lactation Stations
Resource and referral information for new and breastfeeding mothers. Lactation stations, some with hospital grade pumps, are available around campus.
Student-edited newsletter featuring the WRC events & programs calendar, student articles, resources, and related local, state, national & global events.
Peer Support Groups
Address a variety of issues affecting women on campus and in the community relating to substance abuse & recovery, body image, and academics.
*To campus academic support services
*To personal or academic campus and community counselors
*To sexual harassment counselors and advocates
*To women’s health services
*To legal services
*To sexual assault counselors and advocates
*To community resources
*To child care providers
*To scholarship and financial aid resources
*To just about anything you might need
Sabrina Single Mothers Scholarship
Need based scholarship available to registered undergraduate and graduate students at UNM who are single mothers.
The WRC offers a safe space where everyone is welcome.
Special Events/Major Conferences
The WRC sponsors educational conferences and special community events to culturally and academically enrich campus and community life.
This timely student designed website features news, events, resources, and the WRC newsletter.
Designed to provide personal improvement and skill building in a variety of areas including computer literacy and personal wellness.
Contains information on media literacy, gender roles and issues, sexual assault/date rape, domestic violence, women in the global economy, women’s health, and much more. New videos are added each year. Please call ahead of time for viewing policy, 277-3716.
* Some Brown Bags and Peer Support Groups are women-only in order to provide a safe environment for participants.